Moving out of your space on campus?

Unless pre-approved via our late stay process, 2017-18 residents must completely vacate before 5 p.m. on Friday, June 15, 2018. Students staying for Summer Session will transition to summer housing on June 17.

  • Orchard Court residents must fill out a Family Housing Notice of Intent to Vacate via MyUHDS.
  • If you have any questions about the process, please go to your nearest Service Center or contact our administrative office.
  • If you are at the end of your contract with UHDS and are seeking local housing off-campus, visit our off-campus housing page and check out the Corvallis Living Guide for housing tips and resources.
  • Nearby housing is available at The Gem, which works in cooperation with University Housing and Dining Services, and is managed by a separate company. Apartments in The Gem are all unique and fully furnished with complete kitchens and private baths.

Moving out before the end of the academic year

Follow these steps to ensure your move-out goes smoothly.
  • Is it a term break (during winter break or spring break)?
    • Yes, I want to move out between terms: Please contact our administrative office for information on how to cancel between terms.
    • No, I want to cancel my contract during an academic term: Complete the Cancellation Contract found on your MyUHDS page. If you would like, you can also contact and meet with the Resident Director for your building. (Unsure of who your Resident Director is? Search by building name in our staff directory.)
    • Note: Moving out before taking any action to notify us while your contract is still current will result in continuing charges, and may result in additional fees for an improper checkout.
  • If approved to move out:
    • Move all belongings out and completely clean the room.
    • OPTIONAL: You can set up a check-out appointment with your Resident Assistant. This step is not a requirement
    • Turn in your key at your Service Center.
    • Check your student account at MyUHDS for any charges or fees based on the condition of your room or move out.




Follow these steps to ensure you have properly canceled your housing and dining contract.
  • If you are canceling before your Housing and Dining contract begins:
    • Email University Housing and Dining through your ONID email, including your Student ID number, and specify that you would like to cancel your Housing contract.
    • Watch for a confirmation email from University Housing and Dining, ensuring that the office received your cancellation request.
    • Check your student account at MyUHDS for any charges or fees based on the condition of your room or move out.
  • If you are cancelling after your Housing and Dining contract begins:
    • Complete the Cancellation Contract found on your MyUHDS page.
    • OPTIONAL: Meet with your Resident Director. Unsure of who your Resident Director is? Search by building name in our staff directory.
    • Follow proper move-out procedures as outlined earlier on this page.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What if my roommate is staying in the room?
    • Complete the cleaning process for your side of the room. UHDS staff will still check the garbage can, window, and floor, to ensure cleanliness, so it is important to make sure that these common spaces are clean upon your check-out.


  • What happens to my mail when I check out? 
    • Mail is held for up to one week after your checkout date, and is forwarded for 30 days. Your mail will be returned to sender, so please update your address with the various companies and people from whom you receive mail. Be sure to update your mailing address at Student Online Services as soon as you know your new address.


  • Will I be charged a cancellation fee?
    • A cancellation fee is assessed if you move out before the end of your contract but will remain a student at Oregon State University. Please refer to the Housing and Dining Contract for specific information on cancellation fee criteria.


  • What if I don’t agree with a UHDS charge on my account?
    • If you disagree with any of the fees that you have been assessed, please go to MyUHDS and follow the instructions in the Petition of Financial Appeal link.
    • You must wait for a fee to export to your student account before you can appeal it.


  • What should I do with my Oregon State parking permit when I move out?
    • Your parking permit should be returned to Transportation Services in Adams Hall. If you are returning your permit during fall or winter term, you will receive a pro-rated refund amount based when you are returning the permit.



Steps to a clean room

Cleanliness is the absence of dirt, including dust, stains, bad smells and garbage. Cleaning is not only about appearance, but is critical to the overall health and productivity of each hall's residents.

Steps to a Clean Room

  1. Remove all belongings from your room.
  2. De-loft your bed if it is a personal loft and take the loft home. If your bed has a UHDS-provided or UHDS rental loft, this is not necessary.
  3. Take out your trash and recycling to the appropriate receptacles outside.
  4. Ensure all original furniture is in the room. You are responsible for all missing or broken furniture.
  5. Completely clean your room.
  • For your room, cleanliness upon checkout includes, but is not limited to:
    • All room surfaces wiped down (i.e. window sill, desk top, walls, etc.).
    • Floor is swept and mopped (or vacuumed if applicable).
    • Wardrobe and dresser are emptied and wiped down.
    • Room door, ceiling, and walls are free of tacks, tape, adhesive strips, moon / stars / comets.
    • Mattress is wiped down and bed is assembled correctly.
    • Room window has the screen in place and is free of stickers, smudges, cobwebs, etc.
    • All furniture is clean and in the condition that was noted upon check-in. Discrepancies may result in fees being assessed.
    • Trash and recycling bins have been emptied and are clean inside.
    • Garbage disposal is cleaned with soap and water (if applicable).
    • Stove range is wiped down (if applicable).
    • Toilet, shower, and sink surfaces are all wiped down (if applicable).
    • If you have a Microfridge provided by UHDS, you must empty, clean, and defrost it.

Potential Fees: Failure to follow checkout procedures may result in an improper checkout fee of $50.00 or a cleaning fee up to $250. Failure to turn in key will result in a re-key charge of $50 per lock. This means that keys which open more than one lock (such as suite keys) will incur multiple $50 charges if not turned in on time.