Are you planning on moving out of your space on campus? Please be sure to follow these steps in their entirety to ensure you are complying with the terms and conditions of your contract.
- Orchard Court residents wishing to move out should go to their MyUHDS page and fill out a Family Housing Notice of Intent to Vacate.
- If you have any questions about the process, please go to your nearest Service Center or email UHDS
- If you are at the end of your contract with UHDS and are seeking local housing off-campus, visit our off-campus housing page and check out the Corvallis Living Guide for housing tips and resources..
- If you are looking to apply for a later move-out day, visit our late stay page.
Unless pre-approved, residents must completely vacate before 5PM on Friday, June 15, 2018, when all residence halls close. If you are staying for Summer Session, you will transition to summer housing on June 16.
Guide to Moving Out
Follow these four steps to ensure your move-out goes smoothly:
- Set up a check out appointment with a UHDS staff member.
- Move all belongings out and completely clean the room. Remember, campus recycling is sponsoring the residence hall donation drive and donation bins are located in each residence hall
- Turn in your key at your Service Center within 1 hour of your checkout appointment.
- Check your student account at MyUHDS for any charges or fees based on the condition of your room or move out.
Follow these five steps to ensure your move-out goes smoothly
- Is it a term break? during winter break or spring break
- Yes: Please contact the Housing office at Housing@oregonstate.edu or 541-737-4771 for information on how to cancel between terms
- No:Contact and meet with the Residential Education professional staff member for your building if you are wanting to move out during an academic term.
Note: If early termination of your UHDS contract is not approved, discuss options such as a room change or building change with your RD. Moving out while your contract is still current will result in continuing charges, and may result in additional fees for an improper checkout.
- If approved, set up a check out appointment with your Resident Assistant
- Move all belongings out and completely clean the room
- Turn in your key at your Service Center
- Check your student account at MyUHDS for any charges or fees based on the condition of your room or move out
Steps to a Clean Room
- Remove all belongings from your room.
- De-loft your bed if it is a personal loft and take the loft home. If your bed has a UHDS provided loft, this is not necessary.
- Take out your trash and recycling to the appropriate receptacles outside.
- Ensure all original furniture is in the room. You are responsible for all missing or broken furniture.
- Completely clean your room. Cleanliness is the absence of dirt, including dust, stains, bad smells and garbage. Cleaning is not only about appearance, but is critical to the overall health and productivity of each hall's residents. For your room, cleanliness upon checkout includes, but is not limited to:
- All room surfaces wiped down (i.e. window sill, desk top, walls, etc.). Floor is swept and mopped (or vacuumed if applicable).
- Wardrobe and dresser are emptied and wiped down.
- Room door, ceiling, and walls are free of tacks, tape, adhesive strips, moon / stars / comets.
- Mattress is wiped down and bed is assembled correctly.
- Room window has the screen in place and is free of stickers, smudges, cobwebs, etc.
- All furniture is clean and in the condition that was noted upon check-in. Discrepancies may result in fees being assessed.
- Trash and recycling bins have been emptied and are clean inside.
- Garbage disposal is cleaned with soap and water (if applicable).
- Stove range is wiped down (if applicable).
- Toilet, shower, and sink surfaces are all wiped down (if applicable).
Remember: Failure to follow all of the proper checkout procedures may result in an improper checkout fee of $50.00 or a cleaning fee up to $250. Failure to turn in key will result in a re-key charge of $50 per lock. This means that keys which open more than one lock (such as suite keys) will incur multiple $50 charges if not turned in on time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if my roommate is staying in the room?
Complete the cleaning process for your side of the room. UHDS staff will still check the garbage can, window, and floor, to ensure cleanliness, so it is important to make sure that these common spaces are clean upon your check-out.
What happens to my mail when I checkout?
Mail is held for up to one week after your checkout date, and is forwarded for 30 days. Your mail will be returned to sender, so please update your address with the various companies and people from whom you receive mail. Be sure to update your address at Student Online Services to where you will be receiving mail as soon as you know your new address.
Will I be charged a cancellation fee?
A cancellation fee is assessed if you will remain a student at Oregon State University. Please refer to the Housing and Dining Contract for specific information on cancellation fee criteria.
What if I don’t agree with a UHDS charge on my account?
If you disagree with any of the fees that you have been assessed, please go to MyUHDS and follow the instructions provided through the ‘Petition of Financial Appeals’ link to submit a Petition of Financial Appeal.