Moving In

When can I move in?

International students with campus housing assignments may have orientation beginning prior to campus move-in dates. Students who need to arrive early to campus for orientation may move in one day prior to the start of orientation. You will not be able to move into housing until the date your housing assignment starts.


Can I send packages before I move in?

Students moving into campus housing may send packages to their campus mailing address one week prior to moving in.


What is my campus address?

Your address can be found via your MyUHDS once you have been assigned to a mailbox.


Will my appliances work?

All residence space has standard North American outlets with 120 volts. An adaptor and/or converter may be needed for items (computer, hair dryer, etc.) purchased outside of the United States. To see a list of appliances that are allowed in the residence space, see this list.


Can I smoke on campus?

Oregon State is a smoke-free campus. Smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Corvallis campus. Read more about the policy.


Can I have a pet?

The only pets allowed in UHDS facilities are fish in tanks that are smaller than 10 gallons. 


When is orientation?

Students receive orientation information from International Admissions and their advisors.  Please refer to emails regarding orientation location and start time.  Orientation schedules will be given to students during orientation check-in.  Housing orientation is part of the orientation schedule.


How do I sign my contract?

If you are 17+ years old, you may sign the contract electronically via your MyUHDS account. If you are under 17, you will need to electronically confirm your assignment. You are required to have a parent or guardian co-sign on the contract if you are under the age of 17.


I’m an exchange student, do I have a special contract?

No, exchange students sign the same contract to live on campus.  Exchange students will not have to pay a cancellation fee if they properly check out of their room and inform UHDS they are exchange students prior to leaving.


How do I get to campus?

Portland International Airport (PDX) is located about 90 miles (145 km) from Corvallis. Two shuttle systems operate between PDX and the OSU campus. HUT Shuttle serves a stop in front of McNary Hall and at the Hilton Garden Inn south of campus. The Oregon Express Shuttle stops at the Beaver Bus stop on the south side of Reser Stadium. Both systems operate seven days a week. Advanced reservations are required and can be made online for both services.

Eugene Airport (EUG) is located 36 miles (58 km) from Corvallis.  It is a much smaller, regional airport.  Students who fly to Eugene may want to take the OMNI Shuttle to the OSU campus.  Prices and reservation information can be found at

When I arrive to campus, how do I find my residence hall?

If you arrive after Service Center hours, you will go to your residence hall and a staff member will unlock the door to your room for you.

Getting Set Up


My ID card doesn’t work, what do I do?

Visit your Service Center, if it is open, or talk to the RA on Duty.


I’m sick, where do I go?

You can visit Student Health Services.


How does my meal plan work?

Dining plans are pre-loaded onto your Student ID and may be used at any UHDS Dining Location.


Where do I go to eat?

Your UHDS Dining Dollars give you the flexibility to eat at any of 18 dining venues in the following locations including Arnold Center, International Living-Learning Center, Marketplace West, McNary Central Dining and Bing's Café. Your dining plan also offers a 25% discount on prepared food and a 10% discount at our espresso locations.


What if I can’t find my food?

UHDS has many dining options throughout campus, including vegan and vegetarian, gluten-free, and Halal. For more information on specialty dining options, or to meet with our nutritionist to find dining options that meet your needs, visit the Nutrition page.


Where do I get my mail?

Mail and packages are delivered to the UHDS Service Centers.  You will be assigned a mailbox in the service center located near your building.


How do I check in and get my keys to my room?

International students may move into their campus housing assignments after 8 a.m. one day prior to the start of International Student Orientation. Students should check in to their Service Center between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Please use the list below as a point of reference.

  • West Side Residents – (Cauthorn, Buxton, Hawley, Poling, Sackett, Weatherford, & West Halls)
    • Check in at the West Service Center located in the Marketplace West Dining
  • East Side Residents - (Callahan, McNary, Wilson, Tebeau Halls & Dixion)
    • Check in at the McNary Service Center located in the McNary Dining Center
  • South Side Residents - (Bloss, Finley, & Halsell Halls, and the International Living Learning Center)
    • Check in at the Arnold Service Center located in the Arnold Dining Center

If it is after 8 pm, the resident will need to check in with the on-duty Resident Assistant (RA) in their assigned building.  The RA on-duty can be reached by calling the posted cell phone number on the hall doors. We encourage students to arrive during the day whenever possible however after 8pm you will only be keyed into your room. The next morning, residents must formally check in at their respective service center in order to receive their permanent room key.


How does my internet work?

All residence halls have both wired and wireless internet.  We suggest students use plug devices into their wall ports when possible since wifi may be slower than Ethernet.


Where can I get a cell phone and set up a bank account?

Information on local banks and cell phone companies is located in the student handbook, and will be given to students during International Student Orientation.


How can I get packages?

Packages can be mailed to your campus address.  When a package arrives, the Service Center will notify you through your ONID email account.  You will need to show your student ID to receive your package.


Getting Around Corvallis

How can I travel around Corvallis?

There are many ways to travel throughout the Corvallis area.

Corvallis Transit System (CTS): The Corvallis bus system is free for everyone – just get on and ride. Plan your trip using Google Maps’ transit directions – it will tell you what bus to catch, where to catch it, and what time it will arrive. You can track buses in real time using the Corvallis Bus app. Bus maps and schedules can be found here.

Night Owl: The Night Owl, a night time bus service, is available during Fall, Winter, and Spring terms, Thursday-Saturday, 8:45 p.m. – 2:45 a.m. Look here for more information.

Zipcar: Zipcar is a carshare service that offers reservations by the hour or by the day. Sign up for a membership online at or through the Zipcar App. Rates start at 7.50/hr and include gas, insurance, and 180 miles of driving per day. Zipcar is a convenient transportation option for shopping, outdoor adventures, and short trips to nearby cities.

Pedal Corvallis: Pedal Corvallis is a city-wide bikeshare system with stations on campus and throughout Corvallis. With an easy-to-use app, you can check out and return a bike at any station in the system. Purchase a monthly or annual pass, or pay as you go! Start by downloading the Zagster app from the Apple Store or the Google Play Store, or register online at Zagster’s Pedal Corvallis page.

See the OSU Transportation Services Website for more transportation options in and around Corvallis.


How to call a cab?

Corvallis has many taxi companies that work well with students, including Beaver Taxi and Orange Taxi.  Before calling for a taxi, be prepared to leave when the taxi arrives, drivers will charge you if they have to wait.

Uber and Lyft also offer rides in and around Corvallis. Download each company’s free smartphone app to hail a ride.


What is the OSU SafeRide?

SafeRide is a service dedicated to assault prevention, to OSU students, Faculty and Staff.  It is free transportation to and from campus for all OSU students.  Please visit the SafeRide webpage for more information.


Rooms & Roommates

What if I have problems with my roommate?

Many first year college students have never had a roommate before. A great roommate match takes effort from both people. As long as you and your roommate communicate well and discuss issues ahead of time, such as schedules, cleanliness of the room, and visitors, you will find that having a roommate is not a bad thing (in fact, it can even be a great thing). However, if you discover that you and your roommate can't resolve your conflicts, find a staff member in your Residence Hall. These trained individuals are available to assist in solving conflicts.


How do I change rooms?

Housing is often very full, and room changes will not happen quickly.  For more information on how to change rooms, please visit Changing Rooms.


How can I get a single room?

There are very few single rooms on campus.  Students may request to be placed on a waitlist for a single room by meeting with their Resident Director, however many students do not choose to move out of their single room once they have moved in.


I wanted a single, why am I living in a double or triple?

Less than 10% of campus rooms are single rooms.  Students who requested a single room, but were placed in a double or triple room will only be charged for the room type they were placed in.


I lost my key, what do I do?

If the Service Center is open, you will need to take your ID card to get a temporary key to use.  If the service center is not open, the RA on duty can unlock your room and you will need to visit the Service Center when it reopens.


Being Social

How do I meet other students at OSU?

There are many ways for students to meet other students and get involved at OSU.  The Associated Students of Oregon State University (ASOSU) has many clubs for students to participate in.  A list of clubs can be found here.


What resources are available for international students on campus?

Students may also visit International Student Advising & Services (ISAS), and INTO OSU for questions regarding courses, visas and immigration, and other resources.




Where do I see my bill?

You can find your bill at


Where and when do I need to pay my housing and dining bill?

Housing and Dining charges are placed on your Student Account at the beginning of each term.  You are responsible to pay your bill at that time either online or at the Cashier’s office.


I have too much money left on my meal plan, can I get it back?

You are welcome to modify your dining plan via your MyUHDS . The link also includes helpful tips on how to budget and plan accordingly for your plan.


How do I cancel my contract?

The housing contract is a document that tells you what the rules and expectations are for a resident living with us.  When you sign the contract you agree to the rules and guidelines.  It is legally binding for the entire academic year, September – June or remainder thereof if you contract during the year.  There is no single-term contract option.

Exchange students will not have to pay a cancellation fee if they properly check out of their room and inform UHDS they are exchange students prior to leaving.