Table of Contents



What is MyUHDS?

MyUHDS is a website designed by University Housing & Dining Services to help you navigate your housing and dining experience at OSU.


What can I do on MyUHDS?

Your MyUHDS is where you will be able to access your housing application, sign your housing and dining contract, find out who your roommate is and be able to email them, request a loft kit, plus so much more. Once the school year begins, you will be able to change your meal plan, submit a room change request, request break housing, and access many more options via your MyUHDS. 


Application Process

Am I required to live on campus?

Oregon State University has a required on-campus living requirement for first-year, residential students. Living on-campus is an integral and excellent way for students to connect with others on campus and has been shown to have a positive effect on student success. OSU offers many different housing arrangements to reflect our diverse student needs, so you can find a hall that works best for you.


I don’t know if I’ve been admitted to Oregon State yet. Can I still apply for Housing?

You must first gain admission to Oregon State University before you can apply for on-campus housing. Once you have gained admittance, we would recommend starting the application process as soon as possible to ensure you receive one of your top housing preferences.


How do I start the application process?

Please review our application process here.


I am the parent of a student coming to Oregon State. Can I apply for housing for them?

All residents must apply for housing themselves, unless they require assistance in the process. Since they will be the ones living with us, we encourage students to complete their own housing application and roommate profile.


What do I do if my housing application says “Access Denied: Your application is canceled.”?

If you run into this page when you are trying to complete your housing and dining application, it can mean two things. The first reason might be that your application might not have been completed by a certain time therefore was automatically canceled. Incomplete applications are automatically cancelled after 30 days. The second being that you might have requested to have that application canceled. If you would like to reactivate your housing application, send an email to with your name, OSU Student ID number and a request to reactivate your application.


What does submission of a housing application do?

Submitting an application is your way of notifying University Housing and Dining Services of your intent to contract for a space within the residence halls at OSU for a specific time period. By submitting an application you understand this is only an application and that all of the details and requests are subject to approval.


Will I need to pay a deposit or advance rent payment?

No, there is no deposit or advance rent payment necessary for University Housing and Dining Services. The only payment you will have to make is the $50.00 non-refundable contract signing fee for the residence halls or a $50.00 non-refundable application fee for Orchard Court.


What if I am admitted to the University late?

Applications are taken on a rolling basis. Room selection goes by housing application submission date. Therefore, the sooner you submit your housing application the more likely you will be able to select one of your top housing preferences when room selection begins.



What is the housing contract?

The contract is a document that tells you what the rules and expectations are for a resident living with us.  When you sign the contract you agree to the rules and guidelines.  It is legally binding for the duration of the contract. 


Do I have to sign my contract by a certain time?

Yes, your contract must be signed before participating in room selection or getting assigned a room. If you are 17+ years old, you may sign the contract electronically via your MyUHDS account. If you are under 17, you will need to electronically confirm your assignment and shortly thereafter you will receive a paper contract in the mail. You are required to have a parent or guardian co-sign on the contract if you are under the age of 17.


How long is the contract valid?

The contract is for the entire academic year, September – June or remainder thereof if you contract during the year.  There is no single-term contract option.


Should I still sign my contract, even if I want to change my room? 

Yes!  The contract is not for a specific hall and room, but rather for a space somewhere within University Housing.  You should still sign the contract to secure a space with UHDS.  Again, we are committed to providing you with housing that will help you succeed in your academic endeavors.


What if I am leaving OSU or moving off-campus in the middle of the year?

You will need to set up an appointment with your Resident Director or Area Director to start this process.


What will my contract cancellation fee be?

UHDS offers a full-year contract, beginning in September and ending in June. Students who arrive during the academic year are offered a contract for the remainder of the year. Details on the cancellation policy can be found in Section 6 of the UHDS Room and Dining Contract.


If I want to move to a different room do I need to sign another contract?

No, the contract is not for a specific hall and room, but rather for a space somewhere within University Housing.  By signing the contract you secure a space to live somewhere on campus. If you would like to change rooms during the year you are welcome to submit a room change request via your MyUHDS account.


What if I want to join a sorority or fraternity? 

For details on the Approved Affiliated Houses and the process to cancel your UHDS contract and live in one of those locations, click here.


Dining Plans

Do I have to have a dining plan while living on campus?

Yes, it is required to have a meal plan while living on campus.


Where can I use my dining plan?

Your UHDS Dining Dollars  give you the flexibility to eat at more than 15 dining venues in the following locations including: Arnold Center, International Living-Learning Center, Marketplace West, McNary Dining Center and Bing's Café. Your dining plan also offers a 25% discount in all UHDS restaurant and a 10% discount in convenience store and coffee shop locations.


How do I change my dining plan?

You are welcome to modify your dining plan via your MyUHDS. You can move your plan down to a smaller plan for the first three weeks of any term; and up to a higher plan at any time. The link also includes helpful tips on how to budget and plan accordingly for your plan.


What is Orange Rewards?

Orange Rewards offers a 10% discount at all 30 campus restaurants, coffee shops, and markets. The locations include all restaurants in the Memorial Union as well as Java Shop II which is located in the Valley Library. All incoming new freshmen living in the residence halls receive $100.00 in Orange Cash that is loaded onto student ID cards. This is a separate one-time charge on the student account. You can add more funds to your Orange Cash account with your student ID card through the Orange Rewards program.



When do classes start? When can I move in?

Classes begin Thursday, Sept. 20, 2018. For the 2018-19 academic year, Fall Move-in will be on Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018, for all residence halls. 

Check in and arrival times will be assigned to students for specific slots during the day and will be visible on your MyUHDS account.


Do I have to move in the day my residence hall opens?

It is recommended in order to get all of the information and orientation needed in order to start the academic year most prepared.


Can I check-in early?

You are welcome to check in early if you have a viable reason and have made prior arrangements with our staff to do so. However, if you want to arrive early to campus simply because it works better for your schedule that will not be allowed. If you need to arrive to campus early due to a prior engagement with a University Sponsored event, please email


Where do I go to pick up my room key(s)?

Check-in locations are yet to be determined.


What if I am not going to be moving in on move-in day?

If you are arriving any day other than September 18, you will be checking in at your respective service center. Please use the list below as a point of reference.

  • West Side Residents – (Cauthorn, Buxton, Hawley, Poling, Sackett, Weatherford & West)
    • Check in at the West Service Center located in the Marketplace West Dining
  • East Side Residents - (Callahan, McNary, Wilson, Tebeau)
    • Check in at the McNary Service Center located in the McNary Dining Center
  • South Side Residents - (Bloss, Finley, Halsell, & the International Living-Learning Center)
    • Check in at the Arnold Service Center located in the Arnold Dining Center
Where do I check in if I arrive after 8 p.m.?

Students arriving after 5 p.m. on move-in day must check-in at their service center.  If it is after 8 pm, the resident will need to check in with the on-duty Resident Assistant (RA) in their assigned building.  The RA on-duty can be reached by calling the posted cell phone number on the hall doors. We encourage students to arrive during the day whenever possible however after 8 pm you will only be keyed into your room. The next morning, residents must formally check in at their respective service center in order to receive their permanent room key.


Can I stay in my room during a break period i.e. winter break?

All OSU residence halls will remain open during all breaks. Break housing is included in all UHDS room and board rates. There is no dining plan option for break periods, but limited dining options are available on campus at those times. Students scheduled to stay over breaks are encouraged to add to their Orange Rewards account, if they would like to eat on campus during the break or continue to use their term meal plan if money is still on it. The next term’s meal plan dollars will not be available for use until the end of the break. Students must sign up for break so that our Residential Education and Public Safety staff are aware of who will be in the building and we will be able to best serve students over the break with the appropriate custodial levels in the bathrooms. To sign up simply go to your MyUHDS and select “Break Housing”. All residents can leave their belongings in their rooms during break periods, as long as their UHDS Contract is current.


What appliances are allowed in my room?

To learn more about appliances and other items allowed in residence hall rooms, please visit our What to Bring page and our UHDS Policy Guide.



What items are prohibited?

Due to health and safety concerns and facility capacity issues, there are a number of appliances that are not allowed in the residence halls. Some, not all of the prohibited items are: air conditioners; barbecues; candles; fog, smoke or haze machines; hookahs and hookah smoking accessories; halogen and lava lamps; crockpots or slow cookers. To see a complete list of all prohibited items, please visit our What to Bring page and our UHDS Policy Guide.


Am I allowed to bring any sort of animals/pets into my room?

Student residents may not have pets in any residential building, with the exception of fish kept in an aquarium no larger than 10 gallons. Other exceptions to this policy are granted for students who have approval from Disability Access Services. Fish kept as pets in the residential buildings must remain in their aquariums at all times. No gravel is allowed down the drains in the sinks, showers, or toilets. If you notice stray animals in or around the living groups, please notify a staff member so that the animal can be appropriately assisted or relocated. You must not abuse, feed, or bring the animal into any UHDS building.


How do I set up the internet in my room?

All residence hall rooms have a wired network connection and most all have wireless coverage. We recommend bringing a network cable to connect to the wired network, even if you plan on using wireless. Wired connections are faster, more secure, and more reliable than wireless. We highly discourage the use of wireless routers as they may interfere with OSU Secure and OSU Access wireless coverage. See your MyUHDS for a link to help.


Moving out

I want to move out. How do I do this?

Visit this informational page and follow the steps to move out from your space on campus. Orchard Court residents wishing to move out should go to their MyUHDS page and fill out a Family Housing Notice of Intent to Vacate.


Can I move somewhere else on campus?

You can submit a room change request by contacting your Resident Director or Area Director. Visit this informational page for details on this process. Orchard Court residents should contact the Orchard Court Manager.


What if I moved out of my room without telling my Resident Director (RD) or Area Director (AD)?

If possible, you will want to return to campus to schedule an appointment to meet and discuss your moving out with them. If you do not meet with them you have the potential to be charged the $50.00 improper moving out fee.


What does a clean room entail?

First, you will want to remove all of your personal belongings from your room. If you brought your own personal loft kit from home, please de-loft the bed and take the loft kit home with you. If your bed has a UHDS provided loft kit, this is not necessary. Take out your trash and recycling to the appropriate receptacles outside. Ensure all original furniture is in the room. You are responsible for all missing or broken furniture. Completely clean your room i.e. wipe surfaces down, floor is swept and mopped, wardrobe and dresser are emptied and wiped down, room door, ceiling and walls are free of tacks, tape, adhesive strips, moon/stars/comets, trash and recycling bins have been emptied and are clean insider. For a complete list of what a clean room looks like, please look here .


What happens to my mail when I move out?

Mail is forwarded for up to 3 months after your moving out date and/or until August 1st if you move at the end of the academic year.  After 3 months your mail will be returned to sender, so please update your address with the various companies and people from whom you receive mail. Be sure to update your address at Student Online Services to where you will be receiving mail as soon as you know your address.


What if I want to appeal any of the charges UHDS has put onto my account after my moving out?

If you believe that you have been charged incorrectly or would like to appeal the charges for Housing and Dining, you will need to submit a Petition of Financial Appeal. This can be done via your MyUHDS. Please keep in mind the petition must be submitted within 45 days of the original charge and will need to provide documentation that you believe is relevant to your cases. You also cannot appeal charges that have not been put onto your account. The committee will meet within 30 days of your submitted petition and will render their decision to you after the meeting via your ONID email.


My roommate moved out; can I spread out my personal belongings since I am the only one living there?

Unfortunately, no. If you decide to spread out your personal belongings so that you occupy more than half of the room you run the risk of being charged an increased room rate. Please keep all of your personal belongings on your side of the room. This allows for any new potential roommates to feel welcome and comfortable when they arrive to the room. If, however, your room has been deemed not ready for a new roommate you have the potential of having your room rate increase. Once your room has been deemed not ready for a new roommate your room rate will change to a double as single. For double as single and triple as double room rates view our rate sheet.


Mid-Year Contract/Application/Situations

I am moving onto campus during the middle of the academic year. How long will my contract be for?

If you move onto campus during the academic year your contract will be from the day you sign it and move on campus until the end of the academic year in June.


What if I need emergency housing?

If you are in need of emergency housing please get in touch with Human Services Resource Center at 541-737-3747. We will work with them to assist you with temporary housing.


I want to apply for housing during the middle of a term/year. Which housing application do I need to fill out?

If you would like to move onto campus and into a residence hall in the middle of year you will want to fill out that term’s application. For example, if you are moving onto campus halfway through winter term please fill out the Winter Application. If you are experiencing issues with the application please send an email to and we can help you work through the issue.


If I move onto campus during the middle of a term is my room rate pro-rated?

Yes. There are a certain number of days of occupancy in each term therefore the later you move onto campus the fewer days you will be paying for that term. At the beginning of the next term your rate will be the amount posted on the rate sheet  given your room type.



What is INTO OSU?

INTO OSU offers undergraduate and graduate Pathway programs designed for international students who want to earn a degree in the US but may have a slightly lower grade averages, test scores, or English language proficiency. A range of year round and intensive English language programs are also available through INTO OSU, for students who wish to become confident English speakers through study at a US university.


Where do INTO OSU students stay on campus?

INTO OSU students have the option of living in all of our halls on campus.


Can I live with an INTO OSU student?

Absolutely! Living with a student from another country and background can enrich your life and college experience for the better. If you are interested in living with an international student, please mark appropriately on your Housing and Dining application.


My room is currently half open; will I be receiving an international roommate?

Potentially. It is important to keep your room half open at all times if your room is only half filled to capacity.


International student concerns

What if I can’t find my food?

UHDS has many dining options throughout campus, including vegan and vegetarian, gluten-free, and Halal. For more information on specialty dining options, or to meet with our nutritionist to find dining options that meet your needs, visit the Nutrition page


I’m an international student, when can I move in?

International students may have orientation beginning prior to campus move-in dates. Students who need to arrive early to campus for orientation can move in one day prior to the start of orientation. Contact UHDS if you have questions,


As an international student, will my appliances work?

All residence space has standard North American outlets with 120 volts. An adaptor and/or converter may be needed for items (computer, hair dryer, etc.) purchased outside of the United States. To see a list of appliances that are allowed in the residence space, see this list.



What if I don’t get along with my roommate?

Many first year college students have never had a roommate before. A great roommate match takes effort from both people. As long as you and you roommate communicate well and discuss issues ahead of time, such as schedules, cleanliness of the room, and visitors, you will find that having a roommate is not a bad thing (in fact, it can even be a great thing). However, if you discover that you and your roommate can't resolve your conflicts, find a staff member in your Residence Hall. These trained individuals are available to assist in solving conflicts.


What if I want to live in a housed sorority or fraternity?

Ten of the 28 housed fraternities and sororities at Oregon State participate in OSU's Affiliated Housing Program. Visit the Affiliated Housing Program website for details on approved affiliated houses and on the process to cancel your UHDS contract and live in one of those locations. To learn more about fraternity and sorority life, visit the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life page.


Can I live with my friend?

Sure. It is important to live with someone you are comfortable with; but living with someone you may not know too well can be a great learning experience. However, we do not recommend living with someone you already know coming in as that might hinder your opportunities to meet new people. 


What if I have a specific medical condition that requires me to live in a certain environment?

If you have a specific medical condition that would require you to live in a certain environment, you will need to fill out a “Disability and Dietary Accommodations ” request form which can be found on your MyUHDS. You also will need to fill out an application with Disability Access Services (DAS) as early as possible in order to receive the full benefits of the service. DAS can be reached at (541) 737-4098. Requests for single rooms based solely on a desire to have a “quiet, undisturbed place to study” will not be granted.


Can my therapy/service animal stay with me in my room?

Yes, however you will need to submit a “Disability and Dietary Accommodations ” request via your MyUHDS.  You will also need to fill out an application with Disability Access Services (DAS) as early as possible in order to receive the full benefits of the service. DAS can be reached at (541) 737-4098. Please refer to the OSU Service & Assistance Animal Policy here


What if my room was deemed not ready to accept a new roommate and my rate was changed?

If after two room inspections your room is not ready to accept a new roommate, your room rate has the potential to increase. In order for your room rate to return to the original rate it will needed to be demonstrated to either your RA or RD that the room is now ready and welcoming.


Are the residence halls co-ed? Are there any single-gender options?

About 10-15 years ago, all of our residence halls went co-ed. However, there are some single-gender wing options. Learn more about our Special Interest Communities.


I prefer to live in a substance-free community. What options are there?

Substance Free are available. Learn more about our Special Interest Communities. Additionally, beginning in the Fall of 2012, the entire OSU campus went smoke free . We do not allow the use of tobacco or alcohol (unless you are 21 or over and keep the substance on your side of the room) inside our residence halls.


How do I submit a maintenance request?

If you notice an issue with your room, please submit a maintenance request form. This form is available through your MyUHDS. One of the maintenance workers will contact you shortly thereafter the request was submitted to discuss the situation further with you.


How do I update my contact information?

It is required when you live on campus that you have a primary emergency contact in case of emergencies. This form is available through your MyUHDS . If you are under 18 years of age, your primary emergency contact must be a guardian or parent. You may also choose to add a nickname that you would prefer to go by if you would like to do so.


How do I reserve a loft or bunk kit?

For all information on reserving loft or bunk kits visit the loft and bunk kit page.


How do I make a disability and dietary accommodation request?

If you are a student with a documented disability and you are considering enrolling at OSU and living on campus, or if you are a currently enrolled student, you should contact Disability Access Services (DAS) as early as possible to receive the full benefit of services available. Services are provided on a case-by-case basis. The types of accommodations provided are dependent on the nature of the student's disability. UHDS works closely with the Disability Access Services (DAS) office in providing housing and dining accommodations that meet individual needs. Students interested in living in accessible spaces in UHDS must first fill out the dietary and disability accommodation request. In order to submit the request, you will want to log onto your MyUHDS and look for the “Disability and Dietary Accommodations” form.


What if I believe I have been wrongly charged regarding a charge from University Housing and Dining Services?

If you believe that you have been charged incorrectly or would like to appeal the charges for Housing and Dining, you will need to submit a Petition of Financial Appeal. This can be done via your MyUHDS. Please keep in mind the petition must be submitted within 45 days of the original charge and will need to provide documentation that you believe is relevant to your cases. You also cannot appeal charges that have not been put onto your account. The committee will met within 30 days of your submitted petition and will render their decision to you after the meeting via your ONID email.


What is my address while I live on campus?

Your address can be found via your MyUHDS once you have been assigned to a mailbox.


Are the rooms furnished?

Yes. Every room in a residence hall comes with a desk, chair, wardrobe and a bed (XL twin). Students are responsible for keeping all furniture  inside of the room at all times. Any furniture that goes missing will be considered a conduct issue and will result in a meeting with your Resident Director or Area Director. We encourage students to decorate and make the room their own by bringing items from home, etc.


If you have any questions please contact our office at (541) 737-4771 or by email at