COVID-19 Guide for Students

Learn how to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms, find out what to do if you feel ill, and get familiar with the Beaver Compact -- the pledge that we're all making to ourselves and each other this year.

COVID-19 Student Guide


COVID-19 Residence Hall Policies

Living in a residence hall means being part of a community. Learn about the policies and practices we're abiding by this year in order to care for ourselves and for the community around us.

COVID-19 Hall Policies

COVID-19 Precautions

Face Coverings

Face coverings (masks, face shields or cloth face coverings) must be properly worn at all times, fully covering your nose and mouth, when you are not in your own room. We also encourage you to have your face covering on when other residents from your building stop by your room.


We must all practice physical distancing; thus you must maintain at least 6 feet of distance from staff and other residents with whom you don’t share a living space.

To reduce density and to allow for more frequency in cleanings, some hall lounges will be closed.

Equipment and Supplies

Kitchens in the residence halls will be open for you to use if you would like to do your own cooking, but you will need to bring your own supplies, including pots and pans

We will only be checking out cleaning supplies from our front desks in the evenings.


Guests who do not reside in your residence hall will not be permitted beyond your first floor lounge/ lobby. You can have guests, like your family members or friends, visit OSU and your building, but they will not be permitted into the residential space. The only exception for guests on residential floors is during the initial fall move-in process.

ID & Keys

ID Card

Your OSU ID is one of your most important tools on campus. It functions like a key to let you into your residence hall. It functions like a pre-paid debit card at dining centers and other meal locations, with both Dining Plan Dollars and Orange Cash loaded onto your card. It also gets you access to Rec Sports facilities, the Valley Library, the OSU Craft Center, and athletic events.

  • Lost card? If you lose your ID card, report it to the ID Center immediately by deactivating it online, calling 541-737-2493, or emailing the ID Center.
  • A replacement card costs $30 and will be ready for pickup immediately at the ID Center, Memorial Union Room 103.
  • If you need temporary building access before picking up your new ID card, your Service Center staff can provide temporary building access, using a small device called a fob. These only work for a limited time, and must be returned. A rekey charge will be assessed if the fob is not returned.
Room key(s)

 Your key is individually numbered and issued to you upon move in. Please keep your room and property safe by keeping your room locked.

  • Lost or damaged key? Report it to the Service Center immediately by visiting in person, calling, or emailing. Find Service Center Hours and contact information online.
  • A rekey costs $50 per lock, and all residents of the room will need to pick up new keys from the Service Center.
  • While waiting for your new permanent key, you can get a temporary key from the service center. These must be returned when you get your new permanent key--unreturned temporary keys will result in a rekey of the room and a rekey charge.



Rooms + Help

Living with a roommate

Many college roommates often turn out to be lifelong friends. However, one of the most challenging aspects of college can be living with a roommate. Typically, this is the first time you have either lived in the same room with someone or lived with a person you know little about. Either way, living with someone in a small space can be difficult but with perseverance and determination this can be a rewarding experience.  Although many roommates get along from check-in day, below are some tips on developing successful roommate relationships.

Living with a Roommate


Maintenance requests

 If there are any problems with your room or with any common space in your residence hall, please let us know right away—we want to fix it. You will not be charged for maintenance unless the problem was caused by deliberate vandalism. You can submit a maintenance request through MyUHDS.


Who to Call

 If you have questions about your housing or dining accounts, you can contact the University Housing & Dining Services administrative office at any time. Parents and family members can find more information about supporting their students and links to parent resources and frequently asked questions on our Parent & Families home page.


Service Center

Your service center is your first stop when you need help or have questions about anything relating to living on campus. Service Centers are where you go to pick up mail and packages. Staff at service centers can help you if you’re locked out, and can assist you if you have a maintenance request. They’re located in the dining center on each side of campus, and they’re open from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. weekdays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturdays, and noon-5 p.m. Sundays. Find your service center.


Computer network connections

All residence hall rooms have a wired network connection and OSU wireless connectivity. We recommend bringing a network cable to connect to the wired network, even if you plan to use wireless. Wired connections are faster, more secure, and more reliable than wireless connections. OSU does not allow the use of personal wireless routers or access points as they can interfere with OSU's wireless coverage. For more information, visit ResNet.


Dining Plan

Your Dining Plan gets you access to meals at three dining centers, drinks and snacks at four cafes, and groceries at our campus grocery store or two convenience stores.

  • See menus and locations where Dining Dollars are accepted.
  • Check your spending: take advantage of the budgeting tools for managing your dining plan when you log into MyUHDS. You can view your resident discount, your past transactions, and your current balance, as well as charts that show whether your spending is in line with the dining plan you’ve chosen.
  • Change your plan: You may change to a smaller dining plan between weeks 1-3 of every term by logging in to MyUHDS. You can change to a larger dining plan at any time. Remember, your dining plan balance rolls over from term to term, and will also roll over for one additional academic year.



Room and board payment

Room and board charges are billed to your student account at the beginning of each term. These charges will appear on an online eBill statement, which includes all tuition, housing, and other miscellaneous university charges and payments. eBills are processed on the 5th of each month and include all new charges or credits. Residents will receive a copy of their eBill via their university email address (ONID) account. All charges on your student account can be paid for at the Accounts Payable window on the 1st floor of the Kerr Administration Building.


Welcome Week Events

Welcome Week is your chance to connect to community and learn what it means to be a part of Beaver Nation. See the Welcome Week schedule and start planning your first week on campus now.