Oregon State University students have two options for changing their on-campus housing.
- Room change
- Room swap
Room changes and swaps will be available each term from weeks 2 through 9, so long as we are not oversubscribed for housing.
Room Change Process:
- Room Changes are done based on availability
- Room Changes are done on first-come-first serve basis
- Room Change Requests are term-by-term
- If you have requested a room change and we cannot accommodate it before the end of the term, your request will be deleted and you will need to submit a new request at the beginning of the next term.
- Spring Term Room Changes will take place through Week 6
If you would like to change your room, please follow the steps listed below:
1. Meet with your Resident Director (RD)
- Your hall staff will want to know if there are specific reasons you would like to move that should be addressed within the community.
- If your request to change rooms is approved, your RD will submit the online request to be processed by the UHDS Assignments staff.
- If you wish to change your preferences regarding the room change, you may meet with your RD and they can edit your preferences.
2. Room Change Offer
- If we have a space available based on the preferences you have indicated, you will receive an email offering you the space on Tuesday. You have until noon on Thursday to accept or decline the space. Not responding in the allotted time will be the equivalent of declining the offer.
- Declined offers (including no responses) will result in the request being deleted from the system.
- Please note that the offer date might change or be cancelled if it is a holiday week (for example: Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Martin Luther King Jr, and Memorial Day) or there is a campus closure.
3. Complete the Room Change
- If you choose to accept the new space, you will be able to pick up keys for your new space on Friday after 1pm at the area Service Center. Once you have picked up your new room key from the appropriate Service Center, you have until 7:00pm on Sunday to complete your room change. Room changes are not complete until keys for your previous room have been returned to the appropriate Service Center.
- When moving out of your old room, follow the guidelines found on the Moving Out web page when cleaning your room and scheduling a move out with your RA.
- Room changes not complete by Sunday at 7:00pm are subject to an Improper Move Out Fee of $50.00 and a potential for a rekey charge. Should you continue to occupy two rooms beyond that time, you may also be subject to additional fees up to $250.00 and/or be charged for both rooms.
Typical Timeline for Room Changes:
Week 1: Room Change Requests can begin to be submitted through the RDs
Week 2: First Set of Offers Sent Out (based on availability)
Week 9: Last Set of Offers Sent Out
Week 10: All remaining request will be deleted from the system
Room Swap Process:
The room swap option is ideal for students who would like to swap spaces with another student in their same hall. Room swaps follow the same process as room changes, except for these things:
- All students in both rooms need to agree to the swap
- There is no need to go to the service center to pick up keys
- All students who are swapping must meet with the Resident Director to show that keys have been swapped and the Resident Director will ask for the assignment change in the housing management system.