Oregon State University students have two options for changing their on-campus housing.
- Room change
- Room swap
Room changes and swaps will be available each term from weeks 2 through 9, so long as we are not oversubscribed for housing.
Room change process:
If you would like to change your room, please follow the steps below:
- Meet with your Resident Director (RD)
- Your hall staff will want to know if there are specific reasons you would like to move that should be addressed within the community.
- If your request to change rooms is approved, your RD will submit the online request to be processed by the UHDS Assignments staff.
- Room Change Offer
- If we have a space available based on the preferences you have indicated, you will receive an email offering you the space on Wednesday. You have until noon on Thursday to accept or decline the space. Not responding in the allotted time will be the equivalent of declining the offer.
- Complete the Room Change
- If you accept the new space, you will be able to pick up keys for your new space on Friday at 1pm at the area Service Center. Once you have picked up your new room key from the appropriate Service Center, you have until 7:00pm on Sunday to complete your room change. Room changes are not complete until keys for your previous room have been returned to the appropriate Service Center.
When moving-out of your old room, follow the guidelines found on the Moving Out web page when cleaning your room and scheduling a move out with your RA.
The room swap option is ideal for students who would like to swap spaces with another student in their same hall. Room swaps follow the same process as room changes, except for two things:
- All students in both rooms need to agree to the swap
- There is no need to go to the service center to pick up keys
- All students who are swapping must meet with the Resident Director to show that keys have been swapped and Resident Director will ask for the assignment change in the housing management system.
Room changes or swaps that are not complete by Sunday at 7:00pm are subject to an Improper Move Out Fee of $50.00. Should you continue to occupy two rooms beyond that time, you may also be subject to additional fees up to $250.00 and/or be charged for both rooms.
Room changes that are scheduled during holiday weeks (for example: Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Martin Luther King Jr, and Memorial Day) are subject to either being cancelled or modified to accommodate campus closures.